Monday, April 27, 2009

At the Well



Today's at the Well discussion is about mentoring. Here are the discussion questions.

How can we mentor in ways that are pleasing to God?

Mentoring can be a hard task and a hard way to serve God. I for one never feel i am "worthy" enough to mentor another Woman! But with help of the Lord and through prayer I know I am able to do it!!

Here are some ways that I think I can mentor to others that would be pleasing to God...

1. Read scripture to others in time of need and just to share the word of the Lord.

I know I am definietly at fault when it comes to reading the word. I always have the same excuse of "I am too busy" or "I need to finish this book first" If we take time to read alone it will make it easier to share with the ones we are mentoring. Also, if we read with the ones we are mentoring it will be helping them gain knowledge!

2. Share my experiences where God has helped and guided me in the right direction on my Blog.

Although I am not directly talking with someone I can share the word of the Lord and how the Lord has helped me in my blog posts. I know I visit many blogs a day and if only one person visits mine I can at least share what I know with them and hope they share it with others.

3. Pray with and for others

There is no right or wrong way to pray, it is just your discussion with God and asking for guidance or support when needed. If we take time each time we are in mentoring position to pray with the ones we are mentoring that would definitely be pleasing to God.

How can we be sure the word of God is not maligned in the way we mentor and learn?

I think one of the main ways to make sure the word of God is not maligned in the way we mentor and learn is to follow the word and not just read it.

I have known many Christians, and I can admit I have been like this before, who know the word who teach the word or share the word with others, but when it comes down to their own lives they are not following the word. We all need to follow the fruits of the Spirit and follow that in our lives so we can be a great mentor to others.

Proverbs 24:11, 12
Rescue those being led away to death; hold back those staggering toward slaughter. If you say, “But we knew nothing about this,” does not he who weighs the heart perceive it? Does not he who guards your life know it? Will he not repay each person according to what he has done?

Have a blessed day!!

To read more responses or to add your own visit At the Well

7 comments:

  1. This is a lovely post. I see your heart to help others and dependence on God's Word. What wisdom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post. I love the point that we need to follow the fruit of the Spirit to be a mentor to others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post and wonderful tips!

    Thanks so much for sharing today!

    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I agree, to be a mentor we do need to practice what we are sharing with others. And if we don't we are maligning God's word and bring shame to His name.

    Yes, I also agree that we need to know His word to be able to share it.

    And like you, I do feel that blogging is another way we can encourage others in the Lord.

    Thanks for your good words to us all today!
    Love, Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much my sister. I am so in abreement with you.

    June

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading your thoughts on mentoring. Thanks for sharing with us over AT THE WELL today! -Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I'm so glad you shared and I especially enjoyed the Proverbs Scripture. Thanks for shaing At the Well today!

    ReplyDelete