Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Fruit of the Spirit - Kindness


My great partner in this journey through the Fruit of the Spirit, Katie, and I were discussing last night now kindness was going to be hard. Not that we don't know what kindness is or how to show kindness, but because we are going to have a hard time differentiating between kindness and goodness. So I am going to start the next to posts with definitions.

Kindness: fundamental nature or quality

Hmmm...that does not really answer my question as to what is kindness. Here is my definition of kindness showing caring and love to one another and to the earth. Easy enough for me to understand. But when we talk about kindness in a spiritual stand point what does that mean?
Luke shows us

Luke 6:27-31 - "Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you."

I have blogged about forgivness and loving our enemies before and I hate to repeat the same things but this is some thing that I struggle with daily. If we look at this verse closely kindness is being described as loving our enemies, not getting even with those who hurt us, sharing what we have, and doing to others as we would like done to us. I know for a fact that I show kindness everyday to many people throughout the day. BUT, am I showing kindness the way our Lord wants me to show kindness or the way he shows us kindness?! Not a chance. I have a very hard time showing love towards my enemies and those who have hurt me. I always feel that I am deservent of many things and if something of mine is taken I always want it back. With that I have decided I am going to try, notice I said "try", to live the way God wants us to live and love my enemies, wow that was harder to say then I thought, and to share my gifts and life with others.

I ask everyone to join me in this. I think if we walk with Christ and show kindness where we really need to show it we will have a better world around us.

Have a blessed day.

Remember please check out Katies blog to read her thoughts on kindness as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment