Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Fruit of the Spirit: Goodness


Goodness sakes, oh my goodness, goodness gracious...these are all phrases I have used in my lifetime. I have heard my Mother, Grandmother, Brother, Father and many others in my life use these phrases. It was not until I started doing my Fruit of Spirit study that I realized what Goodness really means or is. As an online dictionary told me....
Goodness is the quality or state of being good; also is a euphamism for God.
Woah! I had no idea Goodness was used as another word for God. So does that mean every time I use goodness in phrase I am breaking one of the ten commandments. Using God's name in vein?! I would like to think not and here is why. Goodness to me is like it's definition states the quality or state of being good. So if I am using the word goodness in my daily life then I must be in the state of being good! How is that dishonoring our God?! I feel I use most of these phrases when I am shocked by something, or happy about something, or angry about something. I use these phrases like a prayer and in a sense of praise for our Lord. I am asking Him for good in my life when I am down, I am thanking Him for good in my life when things are going well.
Now as I stated before Goodness is also a euphamism for God. So now I need to evaluate how I use these phrases and this word sometimes. If I am truly angry and having a hard time I may shout FOR GOODNESS SAKE...little did I know that I may actually be using the Lord's name in vein!! This was a shocker for me. This week has definitely opened my eyes to 1. the difference between goodness and kindness and 2. the true definition of goodness.
I know from now on I am going to really pay attention about using these phrases and make sure in my life I am not dishonoring our Lord who in the end is the one who brings goodness to all of us.
Have a blessed day!
Remember to check out Katie's blog and see her thoughts on Goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment