Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Fruit of the Spirit - Love

As I mentioned last Tuesday I was going to start a study on the Fruits of the Spirit each week focusing one of the fruits. Well, lucky me I have a great friend in my small group Bible study who is going to join me in this journey! You can find Katie here.

Love. As I was going through the Bible and reflecting on Love in my life I found 3 bible verses that really spoke to me. These 3 are referring to 3 different types of Love, the love of God, the love of friendship, and the love of our significant others. Here are my verses and thoughts...

"For God so loved the world he gave his only Son so that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

This verse if probably one of the most common Bible verses known to us. It shares a love that many of us may never fathom. God loves us so much that he was willing to give his ONLY Son!! Would you be willing to give your only Son to someone? I don't have children but I can't imagine what that would be like, what if my parents gave my brother for someone?! This is a great reminder that God loves us and that we must trust him. He gave his Son for us he gave someone who was his own flesh and blood for us sinners. I know I struggle comprehending how much God loves us on a daily basis, but, everytime I read this verse I am reminded of God's love for us, and his promise of eternal life.

"This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. You are My friends if you do whatever I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you." John 15:12-15

Friendship for me has been a hard struggle in my life. I have been blessed with many friends over time but, most never seem to make it to my future. I constantly struggled with this and I constantly wondered what is wrong with me? Why can't I have friends? Then I took into account all the friendships I have had over the years and decided they were all in my life and I was in theirs for a reason for one period of time God brought us together to help on another in our time of need. And when that time was over we went our seperate ways remembering the experiences and love that we shared for that period of time. This verse say alot "....love one another as I have loved you" Wow, that is a huge thing to ask for we are supposed to love one another and the Lord loves us?! How on earth can we accomplish that?! Because we are all human we all make mistakes and sin against ourselves and against others. My problem is how can I love someone as the Lord loves me if they have sinned against me or hurt me in one way or another? This is something I struggle with on a daily basis, if I am betrayed and if I am treated unfairly I have the hardest time treating that person with love. If there is one thing I have learned over time is to forgive others like God has forgiven me which then results in love for the other person. We can show love to our friends by forgiving them and by teaching them what God has taught us that is one of the best ways we can show love.

"Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls for he has no one to help him up." Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

I love this verse it was actually read at our wedding. This is my perfect verse to describe the love between me and my husband. We did not live with each other before marriage and we always had 2 lives. He had his with his roommates and I had mine with my folks/friends. Our lives were not 1. This verse states "Two are better than one..." We as a married couple are two people coming together to love one another and help one another out. In our life two are definietly better than one. If it were he and I alone he would not be able to pay most of the bills, to enjoy his time at home. We support each other in many ways first of all with two incomes we can afford our apartment, and all the luxuries that come with it. Second we keep each other company at all times he is never lonely. We as a couple support each other is so many ways that shows love to one another. Although this verse does not have "love" in it have someone help you up when you fall and be your support shows love.

As I spent my week reflecting on these verses and on love I realized how much love is in my life whether someone is flat out saying "I love you" or someone is showing their love by what they do for me and my family. I am truly blessed to have so much love and I can thank God for that everyday. This was definietly a reminder of how I am to treat people and a good reminder of Gods love for me.

Have a blessed day!!

Make sure you check out Katies post on love as well.

1 comment:

  1. I get what you're saying about loving your enemies. For me, that is the hardest thing. But, relying on Christ and being grounded in Him while you go through it, it does make it easier (at least that's what I'm told).

    I finally have my blog up. We got a puppy on Sunday and its been crazy with her. I'm still so excited to do this with you!

    ReplyDelete