Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Fruit of the Spirit - Gentleness


Last week I posted at the end of my post that we would be finishing up this week with self control obviously I missed Gentleness and maybe that was my self conscience telling me I was going to struggle with gentleness.


What is Gentleness?


"Quality or state of being gentle"


Ok...What is gentle?


"free from harshness, sterness, or violence"


I get that gentle is someone who is calm, happy, and kind. I would describe myself with all three of those words. But what does the Bible teach us about gentleness. Gentleness is described as strength look at Proverbs 25:15:


"Through patience a ruler can be persuaded, and a gentle tongue can break a bone."


Gentleness is used to break a bone?! Is that the complete opposite of what the dictionary tell us? All the examples of gentleness in the bible are people who are strong and in control, not weak and out of control. Then this means God is Gentle right? He is strong, He is in control, and He is not weak. Ephesians 4:2:


"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love."


I have seen a common denominator in many of my Fruit of the Spirit studies it is "love one another" Again in gentleness it tells us to be humble, gentle and bearing with one another in love. We need to follow this verse and use gentleness in the same way God does as our strength to love on another.


Have a blessed day.


Make sure you stop by Katie's blog and see what she has to say about gentleness!! Check back next week as we look at the final Fruit of the Spirit Self-Control!

No comments:

Post a Comment